Our Holiday House is located between the Val d’Orcia and the Crete Senesi. – 9km from San Quirico d ‘Orcia – 9km from Montalcino – 15km from Pienza – 30km from Motepulciano – 30km from Siena.
Buonconvento has its destiny in the name: Bonus Conventus, that is, a place that welcomes those arriving. A fortunate community, a good meeting of people who have enjoyed the fertility of the earth over the centuries and the advantages of rising at the confluence of the Arbia and Ombrone rivers. It was right at the ford of ‘Ombrone that arose in the Middle Ages the first houses, hospices where they stopped to lodge and refresh the pilgrims who traveled the Via Francigena going to Rome.
- Festival of Val d’Arbia: Last week of September.
- Festival “villaggio della birra”: First weekend of September.
- Dinner of the first summer moon: Second Saturday of June.
- Threshing under the walls: Third Sunday of July.
- Antique fair: from Friday to Easter Monday.
It is the town where our Holiday House is located, 3 km from the historical center.
San Quirico d'Orcia
The village has developed around the medieval village of Osenna, preserves a medieval structure and the historic center is surrounded by walls. Inside you can visit the Collegiate Church of San Quirico and Giulitta with its magnificent Roman Gothic portals and Palazzo Chigi. Not to forget the Horti Leonini large Italian gardens where you can admire contemporary art exhibitions.
- Barbarossa festival : third Saturday and Sunday in June.
- Orcia wine festival : 29-30 April / 1 May
- Musical season horti leonini : summertime
- New oil festival : December.
Just 9 km from our house is the first village in the Val d ‘Orcia.
On the Rome direction along the Cassia, just 3 km from the historical town of San Quirico there is Bagno Vignoni, a spa already existing in the Middle Ages. This is the only town that has a huge thermal water basin as a square. In the sulphurous dream of Bagno Vignoni they found relief, among others, Santa Caterina da Siena, the nobles belonging to the Medici family and the grand dukes of Tuscany.
- Un Bagno di Birra : 14 – 16 Luglio
- Musica Live al Barrino : tutti i giovedì sera
3 km from San Quirico.
A wonderful town of art just 9 km from our house dominates a vast landscape in which 3000 hectares are used as vineyards and 1500 produce Brunello the best red wine in the world that has brought celebrity and well-being to this town. The stately fortress, built by the Sienese in 1371 to protect the possessions of the Republic, dominates a panorama that sweeps from the Val d ‘Orcia to the clay hills of the Maremma, until you see Mount Amiata the great old extinct volcano.
- Festival of Montalcino Har (T) VEST : September/October
- Festival of “tordo” : last Sunday of October
- Welcome Brunello :month of February ( usually last week Of February )
- Heroic Montalcino : May 27th
Just 9 km from our Casa Vacanze Fornace.
15 km from the holiday home. It is the “ideal city” the Renaissance dream desired by Enea Silvio Piccolomini, Pope Pius II. It is the utopia of the renaissance that has become a reality. Pienza has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- Cheese Fair : 1st week of September
- Game of panforte: Christmas time
- Poor theater of Montinchiello : end of June first days of August
- Pienza and the Flowers : from Tuesday 01 to Sunday 13 May
15 km from our Casa Vacanze Fornace.
A little less than 30 km is another jewel of the Val d ‘Orcia. A magical place where the Middle Ages meet with the Renaissance and whose streets climb up to the square dominated by the town hall. Outside the walls, there is the Church of Sant’Agnese with its original Gothic portal(XIV) and in front of Viviani’s balzana(1926), the Medicean fortress of Sangallo and the fourteenth-century gate of Gracciano restructured by Sangallo himself in the early 1500s. In Piazza Michelozzo there is the beautiful church of S. Agostino with the frontage of Michelozzo. In the same square the Tower of Pulcinella (XVI sec.) with the characteristic mask that beats the hours. Inside the cathedral you can not help but admire the polyptych by Andrea di Bartolo.
- Cellars in the square at the table with the noble: The end of August
- Bravio of the barrels: last Saturday and Sunday of August
- Vino Nobile Preview : 10 – 11 – 12 February
- Christmas markets : from 18 December to 07 January
30 km from our Casa Vacanze Fornace.